I admit that the flowers are just a bit of eye candy, but they have burst into bloom in the last couple of days and are just outside the Makerspace...come and have a look!
The room is almost painted now; just a 2-3 hours left and it will be finished. Can't say I like painting, but it does look significantly better for it, especially the end wall with the windows. The floor will be chocolate brown so gives a nice warm feeling alongside the (mainly) cream walls.
I have moved out most of the pottery stuff into the store room whilst we decide where it will live longer term, so that has created more than enough space to move in the workbenches from the music space. I am now on the lookout for some square or rectangular stacking tables like they have in schools, so if anyone knows of any going for free or cheap then let me know.
I think the next step will be to organise a meeting for everyone who has shown an interest to agree on some formalities and priorities, so expect an email in the near future ;o)
I have finally managed to clear the workshop of the remaining firewood, scrap wood, pallets and general paraphernalia. Until a few months ago this workspace was bursting with firewood; most had been moved, but a few hefty logs needed cutting to a more manageable size. Luckily I had acquired an unwanted reciprocating saw which saved the day..or more specifically my arms.
Here are a couple of photos of the newly cleared space. Most of the stuff beneath the windows is pottery equipment, and there is more in another room, so I think we'll need some shelving to store all of it.
The next step is to clean the ceiling and old walls of dirt and flaking paint so that we can paint over them. The two breeze block walls will need sealing, since our experience of painting the other room was that it sucked in litre upon litre of paint. If we can get it decorated by the end of Easter that would be a really good start.
Offers of help greatly appreciated !!
The oh-so-welcome signs of Spring have helped energise my efforts in getting the makerspace off the ground.
We had got as far as painting the previous workshop, but then there was a change of plan so that we swapped rooms with the Music Makerspace; probably best in the long-term, but a rather disheartening in the short-term.
I've made a start in clearing out (again) the new workshop, sifting through piles of pottery equipment, cast-offs, wood and general rubbish. We're almost there; just need to find a home for a load of wood scraps and pallets. Then we need to give everything a thorough clean before painting. I've managed to buy a load of incredibly cheap paint from Wickes; not eco-friendly, but on a room this size we could never afford to use eco-paint at this point.
There are no electrics in the workshop yet, so we'll need to squeeze a little money out of members-to-be before we can afford the necessary lighting and sockets. Then we can decide on a layout for the room, including benches, worktops and storage.
I am hoping we might be up and running by April/May - realistic or not - we shall see..